Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Launch day

Diablo 3 has finally arrived and thousands of players worldwide have already started their journeys through sanctuary. But all is not good in the world of Diabo. The servers are currently down for emergency maintenance (3pm EST 5/15/12). As much as it sucks getting pulled out of the game, I think this maintenance was necessary to fix some really troublesome bugs.

Despite any issues Daiblo 3 is just as amazing as I thought it would be. I have been hyped up and nerding out on Diablo for months now ever since I got into the beta but whenever you put that much anticipation into something you get nervous it won't liveup. I have only been able to play about 6 1/2 hours but Diablo 3 has not let me down in any way whatsoever.
Deckard Cain

In my short excursion into the demon filled lands of sanctuary I managed to get my wizard to level 24 and clear acts 1, 2, and part of 3. As always in fantasy games I chose the play the ranged magic based class, the wizard. At level 24 the pros and cons to playing a wizard are becoming very clear. For instance, I am definenatly more squishy than my barbarian and witch doctor buddies. I can make up for it though with skills like diamond shield, a bubble spell that makes you invulnerable to damage for a short time.

Gameplay feels great and slaying demons is set to be my new pass time. Lots of players are skeptical about the lack of talent points but I feel that the new system for skills and runes is great. It lets players easily change builds when needed and makes the pacing of leveling great by providing a new skill or rune almost every level. It doesn't make it so that there is only one viable spec for end game, customization is still there. At level 60 I'm sure there will be many strong builds for clearing inferno with different group comps or encounters.

 About 2 quests into act 3 the story so far has been great, there have been lots of great moments and the cut scenes are absolutely beautiful. I don't want to spoil anything for those who are not as far in as I am so be warned.
[SPOILERS]
The game is jam packed with exciting, surprising moments that keep the player engaged and begging for more. In Act 1 the players venture into the depths of the cathedral to uncover the mystery of the fallen star that brought the dead back to haunt New Tristram. Deep in the dungeon players find out that the star is in fact a fallen angel. An angel named Tyrael, the arch angel of justice.

Tyrael
 Tyrael reveals that he chose to become a human rather than face prosecution for helping the mortals in the past. After killing the butcher, Deckard Cain is murdered by Magdah, who is a minion of Belial, lord of lies. in act 2 he player ventures to Caldeum to hunt down Magdah and set Caldeum free from Belial's influence. The player ventures into the desert and kills Magdah. After killing magdah, the player finds out from tyrael that Leah has been taken by the city guard who are in fact demons under the command of Belial. Players rescue Leah and find out the Adria, Leah's mother, is also being held captive by the guards. The group free adria and resurect Zolton Kulle in order to retrieve the black soul stone. After retrieving the soul stone Zolton turns on the player and is killed. The party assaults Belial and entrap him in the soul stone. This was the end of Act 2 and I am only just starting act 3 so ill stop there.
[END SPOILERS]


Overall Diablo 3 is the game I thought it would be. I've already killed countless demons, gotten to level 24. In my opinion it's at least a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment